Unpopular opinion time

GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@kleptomage  
I thought AJ had the best stance of the three: it was a family tradition that meant a lot to her, and she was understandably questioning Apple Bloom’s abandonment thereof. It does not excuse her, but it makes her not as bad. Rarity wasn’t cheating in a way that mattered since she wasn’t competing for first, she and those around her were far enough behind Rainbow Dash to be out of the running. Dashie simply disregarded Scootaloo’s feelings wholesale without even taking a moment to listen and say no.

And the carts could have done that with gravity alone, really good axles and a particularly tall hill give good potential energy and little work against it. The writers get bonus points for Cheerilee’s physics lesson being accurate.
Poison Trail
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@GenericArchangel

I remember AJ being all about tradition, family and integrity.

Later seasons have been creating conflicts off of making one of them fundamentally deficient, or one of them overriding the others. That episode is a perfect example of “Fuck family, decency and common sense, tradition is all that matters”.

Remember when she sent Celestia a letter about not having learned anything? Boy, did things go downhill for her ever since.
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@GenericArchangel  
I suppose there are two main reasons why Appplejack in the episode rubbed me the wrong way. First, I like cars and technology so AJ’s dogmatic adherence to old-fashioned tradition and being content to drive a laughably slow rickety cart are anathema to me. Second, I’ve had to deal with too many people like her who live in the past and hate anything new.

Rarity used the wings on her swan cart to block the other racers. That’s not cool.

Agreed for Dash.

The race was not on any hill tall enough to generate enough gravity to complete the whole track. It’s impossible. Also, explain this if the carts had no motors:

There is so much wrong with that I’m not sure where to begin. How about we start with how the carts were built in six hours? They started at sunrise and ended at noon. Building a whole cart in six hours would be extremely difficult with hand (hoof?) tools. Am I supposed to believe they found time to invent the internal combustion engine? Even if you wave your hand and say the carts are powered by magic batteries or whatever, then how does that make sense in the setting of Equestria? If anyone can cobble together a motorized cart in half a day why are there not more carts? Why are they still using steam trains and pony drawn wagons? It’s ridiculous even by the schizo tech standards of the show.
GenericArchangel
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@kleptomage  
Dash might be letting off the brakes there, since the race was generally downhill she may have accelerated. And she still has an old-fashioned F1 cart there, if it was anything modern there’d be way more streamlining and wings. I liked AJ’s dogged commitment to tradition because it meant something to her, and even though it got her in trouble, she stood by what mattered to her.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@GenericArchangel  
the problem is the track is cyclical:  

they’d have to go up just as many inclines as they go down. the carts would have maximum “stored” potential energy at the top of a hill, which would have to be expended to climb inclines. not all the potential energy converted into kinetic energy would be converted back into potential energy; some would be lost as sound, heat, etc. even if the carts were perfect machines with zero friction or resistance, a significant amount of energy would be lost on the curves. i’m perfectly willing to accept witchcraft or magic or motors at work, but physics? nope.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@kleptomage  
They started on a mountain near Ponyville, of which there are several. Maybe not a full blown mountain, but a hill tall enough to work here.

You’d brake because there is such thing as too fast, and overcomittment to tradition is bad but AJ wasn’t too overcommitted.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@GenericArchangel  
only with magic or motors.

@kleptomage  
even in a free fall an object reaches terminal velocity, that is maximum speed, in 15 seconds (well, 99% of it; close enough) due to air resistance, meaning no matter how high the mountain was they would stop accelerating (and storing potential energy) in 15 seconds of travel. even best case scenario, that is an entirely flat track save for that first little leg before the intersection, there’s no way there’d be enough kinetic energy to go the whole way even if the track was straight, let alone with those curves.

@Wiimeiser  
discord snapping his fingers and making the carts self-propelling would actually be a completely valid reason for them to move.
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@GenericArchangel  
It was a small hill.  

If you don’t think Applejack was over-committed to tradition I think you ought to rewatch the episode. She was immediately hostile to Apple Bloom wanting to build a more modern cart.

@DanielTepesKraus  
That’s what I’m trying to say. It’s impossible that the carts could have completed the track by gravity alone.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@kleptomage  
Later shots show the track clearly slopes downward for a while before they hit the curvy bit. Having looked at the end of the track it is too long, I must agree, but I still think that a group of good engineers could do it. They’d need more than six hours and applewood, but it is technically physically possible.

And I’m not saying AJ was right, I’m saying she was defending something important to her.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Vivace  
Who said the brakes were the rear hooves? Given how they’re sitting, it’d be awkward at best to push those hooves down to push a pedal. Putting it in the steering column, where the have more freedom of movement, makes sense.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Dustcan  
Get you and your making sense out of here, we’re having a nerd squabble and won’t quit till one of us comes back with math! Or until we get bored. Whichever comes first.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide